Wednesday, 11 October 2017

717. Rose and Cardamom Cookies

Cookie,a must with tea or coffee

Theme: Cookies For Your Sweet Tooth

BM #81 Week 2 Day 2

   Isn't it intriguing that when one has tea or coffee during mid morning or in the afternoon, one feels like having a cookie with it? I do. I usually want to have one small cookie with my afternoon tea. My siblings and I grew up having biscuits as we called them back then with our glass of milk. I enjoy dunking my cookie or biscuit in the tea, milk or coffee. A few places in the world will automatically serve a small cookie along with some coffee. I like that special treat whenever I get it.

   I enjoying baking and cookies was what I learnt how to bake first. Then it was cakes and later on breads.  I love trying out new flavors. Rose and cardamom is one of them. A couple of years back I had gone to the spice souk when I was in Dubai. I picked up some dried tiny pink roses and they smell so heavenly. When I got home, I put them in a ziplock  bag in the fridge. Even today when I use them they still are so aromatic and flavorful. I've used rose and cardamom combination in a baklava bread, used it for some Indian milk based mithai so thought why not for cookies.

   Diwali is just round the corner, so best time to bake these aromatic and flavorful cookies. I must admit I rather make cookies where I can either roll the dough into balls or slice them. I find the rolling and cutting with cookie cutter method a bit tedious. But that doesn't mean I don't make those kind of cookies too. Since the roses are so aromatic I didn't need to add any rose essence or rose water.

   Check out the recipe for these easy to bake cookies and enjoy them with some masala tea or a glass of milk.

Does anyone know how I can make the pistachio or any nut stick to the cookies and not fall off after baking? 





Rose and Cardamom Cookies  
Makes about 15-16

1 cup plain flour
2 tbsp almond powder
2 tbsp fine semolina (sooji, rava)
¼ tsp baking soda
½ cup butter
½ cup powdered sugar
¼ tsp salt (if using unsalted butter)
¼ tsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp dried rose petals
2 tsp rose water (optional; I didn't need to use)

pistachio slivers for topping

1.  Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2.  Line a baking tray with parchment paper or lightly grease with some butter or ghee.
3.  Mix flour, almond powder, semolina, baking soda, cardamom powder, rose petals and salt together.
4.  In another bowl mix sugar and butter  together till it becomes light in colour and creamy.
5.  Add rose water and mix.
6.  Add the flour mixture and form a dough.
7.   Take about a tablespoon of the dough and roll it into a ball.
8.  Flatten it lightly between your palms.
9.  Place it on the prepared tray.
10. Press a pistachio sliver gently on top of each rolled dough.
11.  Repeat steps 7-9 with the remaining dough.
12. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes till the edges begin to brown.
13. Remove the tray from the oven.
14. Let the cookies cool on the tray for 5 minutes.
15. Remove the cookies from the tray and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
16. Store the cookies in an airtight jar.

Tips:
  •      Cookies will be soft when they come out of the oven but on cooling will become a bit harder.
  •      Add rose essence or rose water. I didn't add any as the rose petals were aromatic.
Check out my other cookie recipes:

Just realized that so many of my old cookie photos need to be updated but sharing them anyway as the recipes are good.
Custard Powder Cookies
double chocolate brownie cookies
khara biscuits
oatmeal coconut cookies
Sending this recipe to the following event:

 BMLogo





8 comments:

  1. Those cookies look fantastic..These must surely make a great addictive ones to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookies look great. Love those pink specks of rose in the cookies and must have enhanced the flavor of the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow ! The dried roses must have given the cookies a special aroma , I dry the roses myself but these tiny buds are pulling me , must call for them .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, rose and cardamom, such an interesting combination for cookies and those cookies looks absolutely scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic looking cookies, Mayuri. My kids will enjoy any kind of cookies for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfectly baked cookies !!! Love the flavoring goes in there,much be really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!!so perfectly baked and they must be very addictive. Bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose and Cardamom such a beautiful blend of flavours.. Will definitely try this out!! Bookmarking !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Wednesday, 11 October 2017

717. Rose and Cardamom Cookies

Cookie,a must with tea or coffee

Theme: Cookies For Your Sweet Tooth

BM #81 Week 2 Day 2

   Isn't it intriguing that when one has tea or coffee during mid morning or in the afternoon, one feels like having a cookie with it? I do. I usually want to have one small cookie with my afternoon tea. My siblings and I grew up having biscuits as we called them back then with our glass of milk. I enjoy dunking my cookie or biscuit in the tea, milk or coffee. A few places in the world will automatically serve a small cookie along with some coffee. I like that special treat whenever I get it.

   I enjoying baking and cookies was what I learnt how to bake first. Then it was cakes and later on breads.  I love trying out new flavors. Rose and cardamom is one of them. A couple of years back I had gone to the spice souk when I was in Dubai. I picked up some dried tiny pink roses and they smell so heavenly. When I got home, I put them in a ziplock  bag in the fridge. Even today when I use them they still are so aromatic and flavorful. I've used rose and cardamom combination in a baklava bread, used it for some Indian milk based mithai so thought why not for cookies.

   Diwali is just round the corner, so best time to bake these aromatic and flavorful cookies. I must admit I rather make cookies where I can either roll the dough into balls or slice them. I find the rolling and cutting with cookie cutter method a bit tedious. But that doesn't mean I don't make those kind of cookies too. Since the roses are so aromatic I didn't need to add any rose essence or rose water.

   Check out the recipe for these easy to bake cookies and enjoy them with some masala tea or a glass of milk.

Does anyone know how I can make the pistachio or any nut stick to the cookies and not fall off after baking? 





Rose and Cardamom Cookies  
Makes about 15-16

1 cup plain flour
2 tbsp almond powder
2 tbsp fine semolina (sooji, rava)
¼ tsp baking soda
½ cup butter
½ cup powdered sugar
¼ tsp salt (if using unsalted butter)
¼ tsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp dried rose petals
2 tsp rose water (optional; I didn't need to use)

pistachio slivers for topping

1.  Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2.  Line a baking tray with parchment paper or lightly grease with some butter or ghee.
3.  Mix flour, almond powder, semolina, baking soda, cardamom powder, rose petals and salt together.
4.  In another bowl mix sugar and butter  together till it becomes light in colour and creamy.
5.  Add rose water and mix.
6.  Add the flour mixture and form a dough.
7.   Take about a tablespoon of the dough and roll it into a ball.
8.  Flatten it lightly between your palms.
9.  Place it on the prepared tray.
10. Press a pistachio sliver gently on top of each rolled dough.
11.  Repeat steps 7-9 with the remaining dough.
12. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes till the edges begin to brown.
13. Remove the tray from the oven.
14. Let the cookies cool on the tray for 5 minutes.
15. Remove the cookies from the tray and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
16. Store the cookies in an airtight jar.

Tips:
  •      Cookies will be soft when they come out of the oven but on cooling will become a bit harder.
  •      Add rose essence or rose water. I didn't add any as the rose petals were aromatic.
Check out my other cookie recipes:

Just realized that so many of my old cookie photos need to be updated but sharing them anyway as the recipes are good.
Custard Powder Cookies
double chocolate brownie cookies
khara biscuits
oatmeal coconut cookies
Sending this recipe to the following event:

 BMLogo





Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Those cookies look fantastic..These must surely make a great addictive ones to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookies look great. Love those pink specks of rose in the cookies and must have enhanced the flavor of the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow ! The dried roses must have given the cookies a special aroma , I dry the roses myself but these tiny buds are pulling me , must call for them .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, rose and cardamom, such an interesting combination for cookies and those cookies looks absolutely scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic looking cookies, Mayuri. My kids will enjoy any kind of cookies for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfectly baked cookies !!! Love the flavoring goes in there,much be really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!!so perfectly baked and they must be very addictive. Bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose and Cardamom such a beautiful blend of flavours.. Will definitely try this out!! Bookmarking !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.