Saturday, 23 September 2017

703. Phyllo Cup Salad

MEGA BLOGGING MARATHON -SEPT 2017

#80TH BLOGGING MARATHON

THEME: PROTEIN RICH DISHES
DAY:20

   Do you ever feel that you don't want to socialize at all? I don't mean the internet or media kind of socializing but actually going out there and meeting people? Do you feel going out when you know you're going to meet a certain group of people that you're comfortable with rather than one that you're not comfortable with? Confused??? Well, I know I should be putting on my saris and going out for garbas to my community hall but I just don't feel like going. My hubby thinks that I'm still missing my family and that's why I don't go. If its my Lions Club meeting I want to go. Does that make me a less responsible person towards my community? I don't have answers for all that. Its at times like these I miss my family so much. Hubby and I are the only ones here in Mombasa. Some family from both sides lives in Nairobi, the rest are spread over UK, US, Canada, India and Bali. Yes, Bali, my eldest son and daughter in law are planning to settle in Bali. So hubby is always joking that they are Bali sana... in Kiswahili bali means far and sana means a lot ...so basically they are too far!
Festivals without family are not as nice or appealing. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll feel different and go at least once for the garbas.

   Today's recipe is a salad. I initially wanted to make spring rolls with the rice paper... the see through kind. Don't they look so pretty with colorful veggies in them. I had the other ingredients ready at home but couldn't find the rice paper in the nearby supermarkets in Montreal. I was going to mix everything and prepare the salad without the rice paper :( Got home and remembered that the half used phyllo pastry was still in the fridge and would dry up if I didn't use it. If I waited to get the rice paper, the bean sprouts would turn brown. And there appeared an idea... phyllo cups for the salad. Baking Spanakopita can wait till the next trip. So do feel free to use the rice paper if you want. However, this phyllo cups with salad were so so yummy and refreshing. Great party recipe as you can bake the cups ahead.


Protein sources in this recipe are bean sprouts, mushrooms, peanut butter, soy sauce


By no means am I claiming or supporting any sort of fad diet that are the latest craze in the fitness world. I'm just trying to include non meat non fish dishes from which you can get your protein source. 






PHYLLO CUP SALAD
Makes 12

½ box phyllo pastry or 5 sheets
some oil for greasing

For the salad:
1 cup bean sprouts (moong sprouts)
¼ cup chopped spring onion
handful of enoki mushrooms
1 medium carrot, shredded

Peanut Sauce Dressing:
¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
¼tsp salt
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp honey

Baking the phyllo pastry:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  2. Grease a muffin tray lightly with some oil.
  3. Cut the phyllo pastry into squares (5 layers together) about 4"X4".
  4. Place each square into the muffin cups, and fold and adjust them so they fit well in each cup.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes or till the cups begin to turn light brown.
  6. Take the phyllo cups out of the muffin tray gently and let them cool on a wire rack.
Preparation of the dressing:
  1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl or jar. Adjust the taste according to your liking.
Preparation of the salad:
  1. Mix the bean sprouts, enoki mushrooms, spring onion and shredded carrot in a bowl.
Final Preparation:
  1. Very gently fill the cups with the salad.
  2. Top it with the dressing and serve.
Tips:
  • I used ready made bean sprouts but you may use home sprouted beans. Steam them slightly or leave them raw.
  • Add vegetables of your choice to make the salad.
  • I leave the dressing a bit thick so that the cups don't become soggy.
  • Use ready made phyllo cups if you get them or alternately use rice paper. Don't bake the rice paper.
My Protein Rich Dishes so far:

Day 1 - Mixed Dal Paddu
Day 16 - Bean and Veggie Pot Pies
Day 17 - Cauliflower and Chickpea Soup
Day 18 - Githeri
Day 19 - Peanut Butter and Jelly Pudding


Check out what other Mega Blogging Marathoners have made for Day 20:





Sending this recipe to the following event:



12 comments:

  1. Bean sprouts are my favourite protein rich ingredient. I like how you used them into the phyllo cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am sure this phyllo cup salad is definitely a crowd pleaser, thats a creative idea to make phyllo sheet as cup to serve salad, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mayuri, these phyllo cups are cute, I want to taste this healthy bite now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phyllo cup salad looks so cute.. Perfect for healthy kids snacking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute way of serving salads. Love the peanut sauce on top and the phyllo cups so much..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cup salads would make a great party starter for sure as well!..I guess having relatives across the globe is fun and taxing at the same time....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's tough Mayuri when the family is not around, especially during festivals. But dress up and go to the local festivities....will be a good change of mood for you.
    That's a clever idea for a filling salad. Love the peanut dressing too! Bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Festivals are meant to be shared with family. So its is natural with the way your family is spread you will not want to go anywhere. Take heart dear.
    I saw these pics on was it FB or instagram and was like I need to see this...
    Love the peanut butter dressing and like I said the pictures tho are drool....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cute little salad bites perfect for parties. And I agree festival without family, its quite hard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all about your own thinking , we have the Garbas every night in the complex , yet don't have the energy to be up till late night , but If I am told to be up and work on the blog , I wouldn't mind ! Do ho once , I am sure you will enjoy Mayuri.:))
    And these salad cups ! Oh my they are absolutely gorgeous ! So pretty and delicate ! I wouldn't have a heart to disturb them :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the dressing on these salad bites. Perfect for parties.

    ReplyDelete
  12. eToro is the #1 forex broker for beginning and established traders.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Saturday, 23 September 2017

703. Phyllo Cup Salad

MEGA BLOGGING MARATHON -SEPT 2017

#80TH BLOGGING MARATHON

THEME: PROTEIN RICH DISHES
DAY:20

   Do you ever feel that you don't want to socialize at all? I don't mean the internet or media kind of socializing but actually going out there and meeting people? Do you feel going out when you know you're going to meet a certain group of people that you're comfortable with rather than one that you're not comfortable with? Confused??? Well, I know I should be putting on my saris and going out for garbas to my community hall but I just don't feel like going. My hubby thinks that I'm still missing my family and that's why I don't go. If its my Lions Club meeting I want to go. Does that make me a less responsible person towards my community? I don't have answers for all that. Its at times like these I miss my family so much. Hubby and I are the only ones here in Mombasa. Some family from both sides lives in Nairobi, the rest are spread over UK, US, Canada, India and Bali. Yes, Bali, my eldest son and daughter in law are planning to settle in Bali. So hubby is always joking that they are Bali sana... in Kiswahili bali means far and sana means a lot ...so basically they are too far!
Festivals without family are not as nice or appealing. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll feel different and go at least once for the garbas.

   Today's recipe is a salad. I initially wanted to make spring rolls with the rice paper... the see through kind. Don't they look so pretty with colorful veggies in them. I had the other ingredients ready at home but couldn't find the rice paper in the nearby supermarkets in Montreal. I was going to mix everything and prepare the salad without the rice paper :( Got home and remembered that the half used phyllo pastry was still in the fridge and would dry up if I didn't use it. If I waited to get the rice paper, the bean sprouts would turn brown. And there appeared an idea... phyllo cups for the salad. Baking Spanakopita can wait till the next trip. So do feel free to use the rice paper if you want. However, this phyllo cups with salad were so so yummy and refreshing. Great party recipe as you can bake the cups ahead.


Protein sources in this recipe are bean sprouts, mushrooms, peanut butter, soy sauce


By no means am I claiming or supporting any sort of fad diet that are the latest craze in the fitness world. I'm just trying to include non meat non fish dishes from which you can get your protein source. 






PHYLLO CUP SALAD
Makes 12

½ box phyllo pastry or 5 sheets
some oil for greasing

For the salad:
1 cup bean sprouts (moong sprouts)
¼ cup chopped spring onion
handful of enoki mushrooms
1 medium carrot, shredded

Peanut Sauce Dressing:
¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
¼tsp salt
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp honey

Baking the phyllo pastry:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  2. Grease a muffin tray lightly with some oil.
  3. Cut the phyllo pastry into squares (5 layers together) about 4"X4".
  4. Place each square into the muffin cups, and fold and adjust them so they fit well in each cup.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes or till the cups begin to turn light brown.
  6. Take the phyllo cups out of the muffin tray gently and let them cool on a wire rack.
Preparation of the dressing:
  1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl or jar. Adjust the taste according to your liking.
Preparation of the salad:
  1. Mix the bean sprouts, enoki mushrooms, spring onion and shredded carrot in a bowl.
Final Preparation:
  1. Very gently fill the cups with the salad.
  2. Top it with the dressing and serve.
Tips:
  • I used ready made bean sprouts but you may use home sprouted beans. Steam them slightly or leave them raw.
  • Add vegetables of your choice to make the salad.
  • I leave the dressing a bit thick so that the cups don't become soggy.
  • Use ready made phyllo cups if you get them or alternately use rice paper. Don't bake the rice paper.
My Protein Rich Dishes so far:

Day 1 - Mixed Dal Paddu
Day 16 - Bean and Veggie Pot Pies
Day 17 - Cauliflower and Chickpea Soup
Day 18 - Githeri
Day 19 - Peanut Butter and Jelly Pudding


Check out what other Mega Blogging Marathoners have made for Day 20:





Sending this recipe to the following event:



Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Bean sprouts are my favourite protein rich ingredient. I like how you used them into the phyllo cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am sure this phyllo cup salad is definitely a crowd pleaser, thats a creative idea to make phyllo sheet as cup to serve salad, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mayuri, these phyllo cups are cute, I want to taste this healthy bite now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phyllo cup salad looks so cute.. Perfect for healthy kids snacking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute way of serving salads. Love the peanut sauce on top and the phyllo cups so much..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cup salads would make a great party starter for sure as well!..I guess having relatives across the globe is fun and taxing at the same time....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's tough Mayuri when the family is not around, especially during festivals. But dress up and go to the local festivities....will be a good change of mood for you.
    That's a clever idea for a filling salad. Love the peanut dressing too! Bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Festivals are meant to be shared with family. So its is natural with the way your family is spread you will not want to go anywhere. Take heart dear.
    I saw these pics on was it FB or instagram and was like I need to see this...
    Love the peanut butter dressing and like I said the pictures tho are drool....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cute little salad bites perfect for parties. And I agree festival without family, its quite hard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all about your own thinking , we have the Garbas every night in the complex , yet don't have the energy to be up till late night , but If I am told to be up and work on the blog , I wouldn't mind ! Do ho once , I am sure you will enjoy Mayuri.:))
    And these salad cups ! Oh my they are absolutely gorgeous ! So pretty and delicate ! I wouldn't have a heart to disturb them :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the dressing on these salad bites. Perfect for parties.

    ReplyDelete
  12. eToro is the #1 forex broker for beginning and established traders.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.