Niku loves thisMany homes cook so many different cuisines that sometimes the original recipe is lost and an adaptation is made to suit the tastes of individuals and families. The first time I ever made tacos was with my kaki and we followed Tarla Dalal's recipe to the last dot. In her original recipe there is a green tomato sauce. Plans of making tacos revolved around the availability of the green tomatoes. Of course after so many years, green tomatoes have gone out of the window and I make my own version of veg tacos. Instead of salsa I make a wholesome salad. That was a tricky but clever way to get my young kids to eat salad. Usually the tacos are made from yellow corn flour which is difficult to get in
For 4 to 6 people
1 cup fine corn or maize flour (white or yellow)
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsps oil
½ tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¾ to 1 cup water
extra plain flour for rolling
oil for deep frying
Re fried beans :
3 cups fresh kidney beans
2 tbsps oil
1 tsp salt
½ cup tomato puree
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 tbsp garlic paste
½ to 1 tsp red chilli powder
2 tbsps butter
3 cups tomato puree
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
½ cup chopped fresh coriander/ cilantro
1 big avocado
6 to 8 lettuce leaves
1 cup diced cucumber
1 cup grated carrot
2 tomatoes diced
½ cup chopped fresh coriander
1 cup cooked sweet corn
1 coloured pepper, diced
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
2 to 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
Preparation of tacos :
1. Whisk plain and corn flour together with salt, turmeric and cumin powder.
2. Add oil and rub it into the flours.
3. Initially add ¾ cup water and make a soft dough. it should not be sticky. If required add more water. The amount of water required will depend on the type of flour available.
4. Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 16 to 18 parts.
6. Roll each part into a ball. Roll out the ball into a thin circle using the extra flour. It should be about 4 to 5 inches in diameter or more but not less.
7. Prick it all over with a fork.
8. Keep on the side till you finish rolling the rest of the dough. Do not overlap the rolled circles.
9. Heat oil for frying in a wok over medium heat.
10.When it is medium hot, fry the taco. Flip it over and fry. Lower the heat. Lift one half of it off the oil with the help of tongs. Let the other half fry. When it starts to becomes slightly pink, lift the fried part and let the other part fry. This will give you the U shaped required. Or use taco spoon available in the stores to fry the tacos.
11. Store the fried tacos in an airtight container till required. Make sure they are cool before you put them in a container.
Preparation of the re fried beans:
1. Wash the beans and put them in a pressure cooker. Put just enough water to cover the beans. Add salt. Cover with the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Or you can used canned beans.
2. Once the beans are cooked, drain out the water. Save the water.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and saute till they are light brown in colour.
4. Add the garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds or so.
5. Add tomato puree, chilli powder and the beans.
6. Add about ½ cup of the saved water. Mix well and let the beans cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Add butter and mix well.
Preparation of the sauce :
1. Heat oil in a pan. Stir fry the onions till they are soft and light brown in colour.
2. Add the garlic. Saute for 30 seconds or so.
3. Add the red chilli powder and coriander.
4. Immediately add the tomato puree, salt and sugar.
5. Mix well and cover the pan. Let the sauce cook till it becomes a bit thick.
6. Add vinegar and mix well.
Preparation of the salad :
1. Cut the avocado into small cubes. Add lemon juice and mix well.
2. Cut the lettuce into thin strips and add to the avocado.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Add the salt just before serving.
To serve :
Fill each taco with a bit of the re fried beans. Add salad on top. Then add a bit of the sauce and sprinkle grated cheese.
- For ease of eating, my family would break up the tacos and mix everything in a big bowl. If you think your family will do the same then don't bother to make them into a U shape. Fry them flat.
- Make tomato salsa instead of salad.
- Add jalapenos to the salad.
- I like to add coriander powder to the sauce.
Sending this recipe for the following event: